The Sports Forum Sport & Sporting Discussion Free To Join

Football, Soccer, NFL, Basketball, Baseball, Tennis, Cricket, Athletics, Boxing, Motor Sport. Sports Discussion forum

Mickelson continues senior tour domination

sportsman

Phil Mickelson bagged his third win in just four starts on the PGA Tour Champions with a two-shot victory at the Constellation Furyk & Friends tournament held at Timuquana Country Club in Jacksonville, Florida.

The reigning PGA champion carded a four-under 68 on the final day, mixing six birdies with a double-bogey to hold off the challenge of Miguel Angel Jimenez.
Mickelson took a two-shot lead into the final day, following rounds of 66 and 67 in the 54-hole event, and extended his overnight advantage by birdieing each of his opening three holes, only to rack up a double-bogey at the par-five fifth after having to take a penalty off the tee. The 51-year-old birdied the 12th, but made a three-putt par at the par-five next, allowing Jimenez to briefly level with back-to-back gains from the 13th, only for Mickleson to pick up a shot at the 15th and hole a 10-footer at the last to complete his victory with a 15-under-par total.

“It’s a good start,” Mickelson said about his senior career. “I’m having fun playing here. I’m enjoying being around the guys, I’m enjoying the golf courses, how I can be a little bit more aggressive. When I made a mistake on No 5, I can still recover. You do that on the regular tour, you just get eaten alive, you just can’t make those mistakes there and have a chance to compete and contend and win.”

Jimenez finished second on 13 under and three clear of Steve Flesch in third, with tournament host Jim Furyk alongside Ernie Els and Cameron Beckman in a share of fourth. US Ryder Cup captain Steve Stricker in a share of seventh also containing Bernhard Langer, while a final-round 68 saw Padraig Harrington end his PGA Tour Champions debut in tied-55th.

Phil Mickelson’s winning gear
Driver: Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond (5.5º)
Fairway Wood: Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero (16.5º)
Irons: Callaway X Forged UT (16º), Callaway X21 UT Proto (19º), Callaway Apex MB ’21 (6-PW)
Wedges: Callaway PM Grind ’19 Raw (50º, 55º, 60º)
Putter: Odyssey Milled Blade PM
Ball: Callaway Chrome Soft X Triple Track

The post Mickelson continues senior tour domination appeared first on Golf News.