The Sports Forum Sport & Sporting Discussion Free To Join

Football, Soccer, NFL, Basketball, Baseball, Tennis, Cricket, Athletics, Boxing, Motor Sport. Sports Discussion forum

Newcastle United in “advanced talks” with former Tottenham managerial target as Steve Bruce’s replacement

sportsman

Bruce loses his job on Tyneside​

After a disappointing 1000th game in charge, that saw Newcastle United fall to a 3-2 defeat against Tottenham Hotspur, the unsurprising news broke this morning that Steve Bruce has been removed from the hotseat on Tyneside.

#NUFC can confirm that Steve Bruce has left his position as head coach by mutual consent.

The club would like to place on record its gratitude to Steve for his contribution and wishes him well for the future.

— Newcastle United FC (@NUFC) October 20, 2021

Following the successful takeover, Bruce leaves his side in the relegation zone, without a win after 8 games of the season. The club have since confirmed that assistant coach Graeme Jones will be in the dugout “on an interim basis”, which could well include this weekend’s Premier League tie against Crystal Palace at Selhurst Park.

Paulo Fonseca “in advanced talks” for the job​

However, as per a report in The Guardian, the new Newcastle owners may not be too long without a new man in charge of the Magpies. The report claims that it is a former Spurs target, Paulo Fonseca, who the club have chosen to take the club forwards and out of the relegation zone.

Paulo Fonseca is in advanced talks with Newcastle United after emerging as the leading contender to replace Steve Bruce, who departed by ‘mutual consent’ earlier https://t.co/jW3WYP0w5C

— Guardian sport (@guardian_sport) October 20, 2021

The report is quick to add that:

no final decision has been made and other managers, including Roberto Martínez, Frank Lampard, Lucien Favre, Steven Gerrard and Eddie Howe, remain under consideration.

Fonseca would bring a very different style of play from that of Bruce, with the Spaniard often uncompromising in his attacking and exciting brand of football. In a recent interview, the Spaniard outlined:

To build a team who can play attractive and offensive football and I was ready for that. I cannot be a different way. All my teams will have these intentions. In Rome or Shakhtar in the Champions League against the biggest teams, I’m not sending out my teams to defend near their own box.”

His last role was in charge of Roma, which he was removed from in April, ahead of Jose Mourinho’s appointment.

Would he get the best out of Newcastle?

Read more:​

“It’s been an honor and a privilege”; Newcastle star Allan Saint-Maximin pens heartfelt goodbye to Steve Bruce

‘Tactically inept cabbage-head’: Steve Bruce opens up on abuse he faced as Newcastle boss