Fred confirms desire to stay at Man United amid interest from abroad

Forum to discuss football
Floyd
Site Admin

Fred confirms desire to stay at Man United amid interest from abroad

Post by Floyd »

Fred’s future up in the air Fred joined Manchester United in 2018. The Red Devils are understood to have paid Shakhtar Donetsk £47m to bring the midfielder to Old Trafford. And the 27-year-old has since gone on to endure something of a mixed stint in Manchester. The midfielder’s debut season in England proved altogether average, with neither Jose Mourinho or Ole Gunnar Solskjaer having appeared too keen on his talents. Fred then had a similarly shaky start to the 2019/20 campaign. However, the former Shakhtar standout, almost out of the blue, went on to enjoy a superb spell of form between December and March, which even resulted in him being named United’s Player of the Month for January. Post-lockdown, though, Fred once again largely struggled for game-time. And this lack of minutes on the pitch, coupled with reported interest from Turkey, has since seen Fred’s future in Manchester cast into doubt. The South American has likely slipped even further down the pecking order of Ole Gunnar Solskjaer this summer, meanwhile, following the arrival of Donny van de Beek from Ajax. ImageMANCHESTER, ENGLAND – AUGUST 10: Fred of Manchester United in action during the Premier League match between Manchester United and Leicester City at Old Trafford on August 10, 2018 in Manchester, United Kingdom. (Photo by Laurence Griffiths/Getty Images) Fred staying put However, despite the rumoured interest in his services from elsewhere, and increased midfield competition at United, Fred has recently moved to quash speculation that he could depart Old Trafford in the near future. Speaking to FourFourTwo, the 27-year-old confirmed his desire is to remain a Red Devils player, and win trophies with the club: “I want to stay here – that’s my desire. “I don’t want to leave. As I’ve always said, I want to be an important player and win trophies for this club. “ In the same interview, Fred was also drawn on the aforementioned arrival of Donny van de Beek. And, despite the Dutchman representing direct competition for Fred, the former Shakhtar standout went on to voice his opinion that van de Beek’s arrival is a positive for United: “[Van de Beek’s arrival] means we’re getting stronger and that’s good for everyone at United.  “We need more players for this season because it will be even more demanding: the calendar is crammed and we need a strong squad to compete for every title. When you play at a big club, there will always be competition – I’m used to it. It’s been like that from day one at United.” See also: Tottenham vs Everton betting tips: Premier League preview, predictions & odds West Brom vs Leicester betting tips: Premier League preview, predictions & odds